Lime Tea Vegetable Biryani ChickenFry TomatoSoup Chapathi Chicken Curry CauliflowerManchurian PotatoStew AluParatta Prawn/ShrimpFry ChocolateChipCookie ParippuPradhaman

Coming up: Easy Sambhar

Easy for Lazy Cooks

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Prawn/ Shrimp Fry (Chemmeen Fry)


My husband is crazy abt shrimps, and everyone in my family knows about that. So whenever we r invited to a dinner/lunch one item to be sure shot on the table is a prawn fry. Why? Any guess.. Ya Ya and you know what he just loves shrimp fried. And since the way to a mans heart is blah blah blah, i learned to deal with shrimp. Though i dont like the smell of shrimp and the effort that goes in to cleaning it, the outcome makes you feel that its all worthy. And since i am in the modern world i can get the shrimp cleaned and deveined, though u need to clean it again. My mother in law makes grt shrimp fry, though she doesnt eat shrimp. So heres the recipe, thanks to my mother and mother in law for sharing their experience with shrimp.

1/2 kg shrimp (U can make it with cooked shrimp, which is available at the freezer section in WalMart, the outcome is same)
1 Onion chopped
1-2" ginger chopped
2-3 garlic chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric pwd
1/4 tsp chilly pwd
salt as reqd
Coconut Oil
Curry leaves
First clean the shrimp, make sure the vein is removed and also the tail and shell. You can get it cleaned. I actually dont know how to deal with fresh shrimp. I usually go for the cleaned one. I am lazzyyyyy....Ok coming back to the recipe.Mix the cleaned shrimp with salt, turmeric pwd and chilly pwd. If you like it spicy add more qty of the pwds. Now in a frying pan, put chopped onion, ginger, garlic and the shrimp. Add just enough water to cover it as water comes from the shrimp. Let it cook. After abt 5 minutes, when all the liquid is vaporised, add about 2 tbsp coconut oil, and put some curry leaves..Oh boy the aroma that comes is really grt when u add these. Now let the shrimp fry in the oil. You can turn off the stove when the shrimp is almost reddish brown.
And you have a grt dish on the table.
I am planning to try something different with shrimp, so you can soon expect a new entry for shrimp in my blog.
Meanwhile enjoy the shrimp fry

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Babes.. I never kew u had a blog babe.. and amazing Shrimo fry:) Post that White Chicken stew also that ur mom makes.. I loved it:)
Beena and Hari:)

12:19 PM  
Blogger nishi giri said...

Hi Beena,
Thanks for the comment. I actually never tried the chicken stew, though i'll soon be putting the potato stew recipe. I will get the chicken stew recipe from my mum and try it and then publish it here. Merry christmas to u and hari.

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


-->